:~)

nails & whales

More whales needed.

Oceanography

By 11:05 AM , , , ,

A manicure that's actually still on my nails as I type this post! Imagine that.

Anyways, we had regionals for Ocean Science Bowl – or Osci, because OSB is too long – last Saturday. Osci is an awesome ocean-flavored quiz-style competition that I've been participating in my entire high school career; it's probably the only activity I've actively pursued all four years. Textbook cramming and team practices aside, I knew I wouldn't be fully ready without a similarly ocean-flavored manicure. And so I designed one.



To be honest, I wasn't all that happy with it, and I'm still not. But, luckily, the actual competition went far better. We have nationals coming up in roughly one and a half months – a second chance! I've already got a far sicker idea down for that. ;) I was experiencing massive manicurist's block while trying to come up with these designs, so I just slapped on five random patterns and called it a day.

  • Thumb: Aqua-teal metallic with randomly sponged-on glitter polishes + mermaid scale design
  • Index: A beach scene!
  • Middle: Decided to let the gorgeous Deborah Lippmann Across The Universe pull most of the work here. Added on a few stars. Ugh.
  • Ring: A generous dusting of loose craft holographic glitter, and a billion coats of topcoat.
  • Pinky: The Mt. Fuji portion of The Great Wave Off Kanagawa. Considering a full Great Wave mani...


The Great Wave Off Kanagawa - Hokusai, 1832

I definitely wasn't feeling the color composition/general extreme randomness of this manicure, but oh well! Bigger, better things to look forward to in the future. Have a poorly taken car sunlight pic anyways. (Taken one week after manicure creation... Hence the growth. :( )



And a grainy progress pic, because why not. The pinky nail originally started out as a champagne metallic nail with brushed on metallic aqua and teal – I just kind of took my nail art brush and ran with it.


All in all, not something I'm terribly proud of. But significant enough to post! On my right hand, I wore a single coat each of Essie Lots of Lux. Such a gorgeous textured shade.

Polishes/materials used (very many): 
  • Thumb:
    • GAP Mermaid - metallic teal (shown on thumb in picture above)
    • Wet 'N Wild Black Creme
    • Mermaid glitters:
      • Bon Bons [unnamed] - iridescent glitter in sheer aqua base
      • China Glaze Dorothy Who? - blue jelly base with silver microglitter
      • Color Club Beyond The Mistletoe - dense mint and holographic glitter in clear base
      • Del Sol VIP - holographic + silver glitter in clear -> red base
      • F21 Multi Glitter - green & aqua hex + holographic glitter in clear base
      • OPI Get Your Number - sky blue glitter Liquid Sand
      • Orly Rococo-A-Go-Go - burgundy with gold glass fleck
      • Pure Ice Rio - sheer pink with blue shimmer

  • Index:
    • Essie Bouncer, It's Me - sheer blue neon
    • Essie Go Overboard - dark teal creme
    • Essie Mint Candy Apple - pale mint/aqua creme
    • Julep Hope - satin-finish white creme
    • Orly Viridian Vinyl - leather/matte finish teal creme
    • Sinful Colors Rise and Shine - matte teal neon
    • Zoya Charlotte - greige creme
    • Zoya Severine - champagne/gold metallic
  • Middle:
    • Deborah Lippmann Across The Universe - navy jelly with turquoise & green hex, turquoise microglitter
    • Scherer Petites Sapphire - dark navy with faint silver shimmer
  • Ring: 
    • Essie Beach Bum Blu - light blue metallic/frost
    • Loose turquoise holographic hex craft glitter
  • Pinky:
    • Color Club [unnamed] - sheer turquoise neon
    • Essie Beach Bum Blu
    • Forever 21 Overcast - sheer grey with subtle silver shimmer
    • Julep Char - dark ultramarine/navy creme
    • Julep Hope
    • Zoya Severine
  • Right hand:
    • Essie Lots of Lux - textured cobalt with rainbow shimmer (mica?)
This list is pretty insane, I know. Here's what it looked like on my desk! (And only the blue ones. Not even the other colors.)


Hope your day goes better than this mani did :)







You Might Also Like

0 comments