:~)

nails & whales

More whales needed.

Orly Rococco-A-Go-Go – Swatch

By 12:30 PM , ,

A brief throwback to when I had square nails! Not part of the college series, but still pretty (very) old. I just started my second semester of college, so it's going to be a while before I can settle down and start working on new material. For now, three coats of ILNP Birefringence will do... :)

Ah, the days of square nails.
This is yet another discount retail find – Orly Rococco-A-Go-Go. It's incredibly difficult to capture the multifaceted nature of this polish, so my attempt consists of multiple photos with multiple angles and multiple finishes.

I'm honestly not even sure where to start with this one.


Well, clearly, it's purple. It's a warmer kind of berry purple that leans heavily into red, although its intensity is negated by the multichrome flecks that lighten up the base. These irregularly-shaped little flecks (not glitter) shift from pink to orange to a yellowed olive green at the very edge of the nail.


The shift is stunning, but definitely more subtle than I would've preferred... or maybe I'm just biased because I've been wearing ILNP Birefringence for daaaays. It also seemed like the type of polish that would have a "glow-from-within" look when matte, so I went ahead and tried that as well.


Unfortunately, it didn't perform as well as I had hoped. There's none of that rich glowiness you get with some shimmers, probably because the multichrome particles are slightly too large. Still beautiful, though – a very regal autumn/winter shade that looked a bit subdued despite the bold color.

Orly Rococco-A-Go-Go

Price: $6.00, standard retail // $10 - $40 on eBay (VHTF status) 
Size: 0.60 fl oz (standard, on the larger side) 
Finish: Small multichrome-particles in a thin but pigmented base
Formulation: 3-free + without formaldehyde resin.
Application: Frankly, I don't remember. But I'm going to guess about 3 coats here, with Essie All-In-One base as basecoat and topcoat (and NYC's matte top coat). 
Brush/bottle: Orly makes cylindrical glass bottles that are domed at the top. Their caps are famously ergonomic, as they're coated with non-slip rubber with dot indentations for a secure grip. The curved shape makes them easy to hold, and the brush is long and thin with flexible bristles. Note: this is the older cap, but the new one should be further improved. 

Overall: It's a pretty color. It's honestly not something I would wear very often, as I prefer straight glitter or straight crèmes, but it's worth keeping in the collection simply because I own nothing like it. 


Glossy or matte – what do you think?

Thanks for reading! :o)

Bethany
Currently listening to It's Only (ft. Zyra) by ODESZA.

All products in this post purchased by author. Photos taken with an iPhone 5s and color-corrected in Photoshop CC 2015. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments