:~)

nails & whales

More whales needed.

Skin Food & Macbeth

By 1:16 AM , , , , ,

Finally back in California after a bit of vacationing in Hong Kong! Did the usual as you'd expect on a summer Asia trip – ate copious amounts of heavy food and shiny desserts, walked a bunch (seven to ten miles a day!), visited various relatives, shopped entirely too much. Although it technically is warmer in California, humidity is low here, and that's all that really matters. In the first half of our trip, HK reached the highest temperature ever recorded since the meteorological service there was established – just our luck. 36.3ºC where we were... which really doesn't sound too bad, until you take into consideration the 90%+ humidity due to a nearby typhoon. Absolutely, absolutely awful.

Shocker: I only bought one nail polish while there, and it was on the penultimate day. Alright, so maybe the only thing holding me back was knowledge that I'd soon visit a nail supply store once returning to the U.S. ($3 China Glazes? yes), but I think I still deserve some credit. ;) That polish, which will remain unnamed for now, will be featured soon.

In short, I am still exhausted and do miss HK a bit, but am very glad to be back!

The feature of today's post is from another Asian brand: Korea-based Skin Food. It's an incredibly luminous gold glitter-foil from their Pedicure Sparkle line, and although I don't have the specific name of it, I believe it's Sparkle Sun Yellow. It lives up to the name. Judge for yourself.



Alright, so I've skipped ahead to the nail art. But this photo had to be the post cover photo! The coloring is greatly preferable on this one, though I unfortunately couldn't achieve the same tinting on the actual swatch photo. When I first showed this photo to a friend, she remarked that it reminded her of Shakespeare's Macbeth – of blood spilled over golden ducats. A good save for an originally aimless design, one that I didn't even particularly like until that reference. Thank you Kitty!

The red is Blood by Kleancolor, applied with a small art brush. There you have it! Anyways...

The eternal question: how to avoid lobster hands with Photoshop?
Sparkle Sun Yellow is absolutely the most mirror-like polish I own, after F.U.N Lacquer Pay Day. I've attached a Youtube video below that better demonstrates that quality. (You'll have to forgive me for the vertical video on this one.) In the bottle, it looks like the finest gold microglitter, suspended in a thin clear base. The result, however, was the flashiest gold I've ever seen – it's not quite a metallic, it's not quite a foil, it's not quite a glitter, and it's not quite a flakie. Sparkle Sun Yellow is somewhat a hybrid of those finishes, and the end result is stunning. The entire Pedicure Sparkle line shares this finish. 
Wish I could have two post cover photos. 

Sparkle Sun Yellow

Price: Purchased it off a friend; unsure? It doesn't seem like Skin Food carries this line anymore, unfortunately. 
Size: Exact volume unknown, but standard size.
Finish: I'm not quite sure what to call this. It absolutely explodes in the sunlight, though. (Tried to get a picture – iPhone camera didn't want to pick it up, sorry!) Major shine and glitter under direct light.
Application: Very smooth and unproblematic. Opaque in two coats, but I added a third in these pictures just to be sure. Finished off with Essie All In One basecoat, but dried naturally smooth.
Brush/bottle: As depicted. Average-length soft black bristles that do not fan out upon application. Not a wide brush. 

Overall: Love it! Definitely doesn't seem 3-free, but the ease of application and beautiful finish trump possible risks. (After all, I don't plan on wearing this polish all the time.) Forever thankful to the friend who sold it! :')

And here's the video showcasing the mirror-like shine. I know, it's vertical and quite low quality. Shh.


That's about it! I can finally conclude this super long post. It's alright if you didn't read the whole thing – I appreciate the glance regardless. Thank you :)

Currently listening to: Breakdown (ft. Benji Madden) – Tonight Alive

You Might Also Like

0 comments